With summer in full force, and temps reaching the 90s today, it’s important to make sure we are staying hydrated. It’s easy to let the day pass (I’m all too familiar with this) and realize that you didn’t drink enough. I blame it on being busy and just doing a million things, but it’s not a good excuse. In fact, not drinking water is doing more harm to you than you probably think.
First, what is dehydration?
-Dehydration occurs when you’re the loss of bodily fluids, including sweat, exceeds the amount that is taken in.
Here are some things that happen when you are dehydrated:
- You may feel faint
- You can become nauseous
- Your mouth becomes drier
- You could become weak
- You may feel sluggish
It goes without saying that if you are dehydrated, you will not feel your best and not be your best! Runs won’t be as great, your work might not be completed as it well as it should be, and you won’t be yourself.
Do any of those sound like fun to you? Probably not, so keep on drinking! Here are some of my tips to keep hydrated!
1. Drink first thing in the morning. It’s easier to drink warm water, and make sure you drink a full glass!
2. Keep account of what you have drank. Having a certain number of water bottles to drink, and knowing what you have left will help.
3. Bring a water bottle with you everywhere. For whatever reason, I drink more water when I’m driving in the car and my cup is in front of me. Sounds crazy, but it’s true.
4. Buy a new water bottle, or cup to drink from. Another crazy strategy, but it always makes me excited!
5. Add some fruit in to infuse the water. I actually love plain water, so I don’t add anything, but I know many people who get sick of the taste of water.
6. Make sure you are drinking throughout your workouts, and replenish after.
Remember: You don’t want to be dehydrated. A true sign is if your urine color is dark yellow. You want it to be a pale yellow color. Of course, medication you are on may alter the color, so please know what’s best for you!
Moving on to..
It’s been a few weeks, but it’s time for another workout! I did this workout with my class last week, and they loved it! It kept us moving and really pushing ourselves.
In each circuit, there are three cardio moves you will perform for 50 seconds, and rest 10 seconds. Then, perform the last exercises as a Tabata. You will complete it 8x, for 20 seconds each time and 10 second rest. That equals 4 minutes. I set a timer so I didn’t have to keep track. Make sure you warm up and cool down/stretch at the end. We ended with some ab exercises. If you can’t complete the 4 circuits, don’t worry! Complete what you can! Make sure you take rests when you need it. I always gave at least a minute rest after the Tabata round, and at least 45 seconds in between cardio and the Tabata for drinks.
Moves you may not be familiar with:
- Power Squats
- Scissor Runs
- Attacks (Basically You are punching twice on one side, then jump in the middle, and perform two punches and little jumps on that side as well. I can’t find a video, but will update you all when I take a video performing this move! If you have questions, let me know and I can help you out!)
- Double Heisman
- Lateral Hop
- Skater Lunges (I touch the floor with my hand when I do these)
- Hit the Floor
How well do you do at staying hydrated?
What tip can you share to make sure you don’t dehydrate?
What’s your favorite new song?
I wish I could say I’m a pro, but I still have days that I’m doing a lot of things and I forget to drink water. I am still loving the Maps song by Maroon 5. I know it’s not new anymore, but I still love it.