I can’t help but get excited when I step into a store and see new shoes. Even when it is freezing cold outside, I love seeing the new sandals come out. At the end of summer, I can’t wait to start wearing boots. BUT! Organizing shoes can be a challenge. Maybe I just have too many (that never happens, right?), but it seems my shoes are always a disaster area!
Make sure you check out the other posts on Organizing your room. Today, I have ways to keep your shoes organized.
- Do you have multiple running or cross training shoes? Consider giving some away. If you use them all, then by all means keep them! I know I am holding onto multiple shoes, but they are old running shoes and I really shouldn’t even be using them on my feet anymore!
- Sort according to heel. I have my heels lined up according to how high they are. This way, I know which shoes I can pick from for a specific outfit. If my pants are on the shorter side, I know I need to choose flats. If they are extra long, I know where my higher heels are.
- Put shoes away you aren’t using right now. I have a lot of shoes. So much so, that Aaron has been putting a stop to my shoe nonsense. I bought a big bin from Walmart, and fill them with the off season shoes. In the winter, I put my sandals away and bring out my boots. In Pittsburgh, I am not going to need to wear those! In the spring, I put away my boots and bring out the sandals. There are shoes I have out all year, like my heels and flats, but for the majority, this is a huge space saver!
- Think about how often you are going to wear those shoes. If they aren’t going to be worn too frequently, place them in the back of your shoes. Shoes that you tend to wear every day? Leave those in the front for easy access!
- Buy storage bins or shelves. I have multiple shelves in my closet full of shoes. They all me to stack shoes if I can, and save me a lot of room on the floor. It also keeps everything looking neat and organized!
- Purchase an over the door shoe organizer. I also have one of these. On this, I keep my most worn shoes. I have slippers in there, moccasins, some flats, and some sandals. I don’t put away all of my sandals in case we do get a nice day or two.
- If you haven’t worn it in two years, throw it away. I say two years because some seasons are better than others. Last year’s summer was hot and I was able to dress cute and wear a bunch of shoes. The year before that, though, I couldn’t wear the same shoes.
Do you get excited for a new season just because of the shoes?
Are you more likely to hold onto a pair of shoes because they are cute, even if you will never wear them because they hurt?