This week, I am going to focus on the closet! Keeping a closet clean is perhaps the most challenging aspect of my room. Clothes will fall off hangers, I won’t put things away, or I will just throw my clothes into my closet. This makes for a hard time deciding what to wear, and an annoyance of stepping over the clothes! These tips have helped me clean out of my closet, and keep it clean.
Tips for organizing your closet:
- Sort clothes. Determine if you want to have your clothes separated by color, style, length, etc. Then, hang them up that way! My closet has pants and skirts on the left, then dresses, sweaters, shirts, cover ups, and finally jackets.
- Separate pants/skirts/shorts. Everyone could use some more time in the morning, right? Why not save yourself from having to find pants in your closet by shuffling around clothes. By separating pants, skirts, and shorts, you will know immediately where you can find those straight leg black dress pants you want to wear today!
- Purchase good hangers. There is nothing worse, to me, than having hangers that won’t keep my clothes on! They end up falling and I step all over them. I use all plastic hangers, but they need to have a spot to actually hang the clothes!
- What are you going to wear most often? If you are going to wear hoodies a lot, or zip ups, don’t put them in the back of your closet. It will create more of an annoyance by having to go through all the clothes in front of them all the time.
- Buy space saver hangers. I have multiple of these in my closet. They are so convenient! For every one, you can put 7 (or more if you are me!) hangers of clothes on it! Then the hanger drops down, and doesn’t take up extra room.
- Take the hangers out with the clothes. Seems like a no brainer, but I am not always good about this. I tend to just pull the clothes off I want to wear, and leave the hanger in my closet. However, by taking the hanger out with the clothes, it is very easy to take off your clothes at the end of the day, put them on the hanger, and immediately hang them out. Having to search for a hanger stops me from hanging clothes up all the time!
Have you tried any of these tips before?
Anyone else just throw things in your closet and hope there are closet Gods to come pick everything up?