You know how some days you look back and literally everything went wrong? And you basically can’t stay awake past 7:30? Yep, me yesterday.
That fever A woke up with on Sunday didn’t turn into anything on Sunday. We thought it was a random thing, but we did have medicine in her all day. But then yesterday happened. She woke up at her usual time and was whimpering, which was odd, so I went in and she was burning to touch. Immediately took her temp and it was 105! Um, that’s scary stuff. After ripping off her clothes, putting some cold wash cloths on her, we went to the ER. I’m not sure if that’s the right thing to do. Honestly I couldn’t think! I just knew 105 was high. I gave her Motrin because, hello, I didn’t want it climbing higher and wasn’t sure how long it was like that and off we went. Great start to a Monday, right?
Oh and I set my alarm an hour later in the morning so I didn’t get to get up and workout, meaning I was in my PJs and looking a disaster as all of this is going on. Easy Monday morning, I thought. Nope… So we’re at the ER with about 3 other people and it still took forever to be called back. Hello, my daughter was burning up! Then the nurse couldn’t get the computer to work, couldn’t find a thermometer, and the list goes on. And the laughing starts…
In the back of my mind, for some reason, I was expecting to hear it was an ear infection and be sent on our way in just a little while. So we left the house without snacks, breakfast, any food for me, no water bottle for me, and a banana and milk plus water for A. Again, just gotta laugh.
After hours in the ER and flu tests, RSV tests, chest x-rays coming back negative, testing for a UTI was the next step. Oh, and did I mention I couldn’t be in the room since I’m pregnant while they did the X-ray? HEART BROKEN! I cried in the hall listening to her cry. Thankfully my mom (she met me at the hospital because she was close by while Aaron stayed at work until we knew something) was there to be with her. But, because she’s been sort of potty training and I got her to pee in the potty for the UTI test instead of having a catheter inserted! Woo! #momwin
So anyway, everything was negative, which is good, I guess. Sadly she has no other symptoms so they are thinking Roseola and her fever has remained around 102 even with meds. Told me the high fever can last 3-5 days and then a rash will break out 24-48 hours after it breaks.
Back to my laughable Monday. I fed my kid any snacks I could find. We shared a Brown Sugar Pop Tart (uhm, way better than I remember!), had lots of snuggles, including her falling asleep on me which hasn’t happened in months (ok, that was a really nice part). I couldn’t get her to even eat lunch when we got home. Oh, and not only did I have one sicko, but I came home and found BENSON had puked in our room. The only room with carpet. Come on dude, at least find the hard wood floor.
So if you need me, I’ll be over here laughing at my day because if not, I’m going to cry. For both my sick kiddo and the fact I can’t have wine. But mostly because my kiddo is sick and there’s nothing I can do to help her. Is winter over yet?
I write this in a sarcastic tone but please don’t think I wasn’t worried about my child through the entire day. There’s nothing worse than seeing your kid sick and I would have done anything for her. My heart broke a million times yesterday watching her struggle to stay awake, move, and have tests done on her.