Social media is a love/hate relationship, right? It’s so easy to show the highlight real, but at the same time, I know I’ve been on the opposite side having the whole “grass is greener” thoughts in my head. I try to be real. I try to show it’s not all rainbows and butterflies, but I know those posts aren’t always as great as a beautiful picture and such.
One area that really is hard for me to deal with on social media is when I know many people who have kids at the same time as me, and comparing MY children to THEIR children. It’s easy. It’s really easy. But it’s awful because every child is different. For example, I have two children. Though they have similarities, they also are pretty different.
- Both of my kiddos are better night sleepers than naptime.
- Both of my kiddos are happy. Like, really happy.
- Both of my kids love to eat and gain weight pretty quickly.
- Both of my kids are healthy.
- They both roll
- They are both developmentally on schedule
But, they’re also different.
- Nolan is more laid back and chill.
- Nolan spits up all the time. Like, it’s awful. The amount of laundry I do solely based on the amount of puke on our clothes is disgusting. It’s actually ruined some of my clothes.
- Both kids had reflux, but they were both different kinds.
- I gained more weight with Nolan than Annabelle but snapped back faster with Nolan.
- Nolan rolled when he was 3 months, maybe earlier? He went back to belly. Annabelle didn’t roll until she was over 5 months, and it was belly to back!
- Nolan can sit up for a few seconds propped on his hands, but I know Annabelle couldn’t at this point.
- Annabelle didn’t sleep through the night until almost 6 months, where Nolan started months ago.
This is just to show you that even though they are both raised the exact same way, things are different. I genuinely feel bad talking about some of Nolan’s firsts because I know other kids just aren’t there at the same time, and I don’t want to impose any type of comparison for others. I’ve been on the other side. I thought Annabelle did things at a great time, and when developmentally on target. So when I say things about Nolan, I hate to make someone else compare. It may be silly to worry about it, but there isn’t a person out there that hasn’t compared something in their lives to someone else’s highlight reel, amiright?!
This is just another friendly reminder to take other’s accounts with a grain of salt and know that if you’re doing your best, then that’s all that matters. And on the topic of children, if you’re ever concerned about development, talk with your doctor! You can also seek out Early intervention as well.